Wednesday, August 5, 2009

"Shshshshshsh I'm Counting!"

As a kid my mom did a lot of knitting, in fact, she still does.

Last week I did something to Kid #1 that brought back a memory of my mother knitting. I was alone in the living room counting out stitches as I knit across a row. Kid #1 came into the room asking a question as she entered. I gently shshsh'd her and gave her a gentle "please come forward, but don't talk until I finish the row" look. I felt a bit rude for shshsing her, and yet if I stopped counting I would have spent a very long time reorienting myself in my pattern.

As I shshsh'd her memories of me entering a room where my mother was knitting and gently being shshsh'd as she finished her row came flowing back. It is a gentle art to be able to tell your child PLEASE, PLEASE DON'T TALK TO ME RIGHT NOW, I want to hear you, but can it wait until I finish the row? My mother was a master, and I now understand the great model she was to teach me to gently SHSHSHSH my children while knitting.

No comments: