Thursday, December 3, 2009

A Knitted Baby Hat

A friend of mine is going to have baby #6 very soon! I am making a baby hat for the little one to wear this winter. The self patterning sock yarn is so adorable for a baby hat.

I decided to use double pointed needles.The first step was to cast on all the stitches onto one needle. Then I knit a few rows on one needle.The double pointed needles are a bit intimidating, but that has not stopped me before. I feel a bit awkward knitting with them, but I am sure the comfort and confidence will follow soon. Also, the thought of not having to sew a seam is a great relief to me. Sewing a seam is not one of my strong points. Case in point...I still have to sew the sleeves onto the coral sweater I have been working on. I finished knitting it about a month ago and it is still sitting in my knitting basket just waiting to be sewn.

Next was to split the stitches evenly onto three needles. This just left a very small bit of sewing to do at the end. The tricky part here is to join the stitches without creating a twist in the row. I carefully lined up the stitches and started to knit "in the round".

Then I knit the hat to the top, following the pattern carefully.

I am getting better at reading knitting patterns, but WOW, the can be so cryptic. I feel like there is a secret code, and I didn't get a decoder ring.

Anyway, enough self pity, I can read this pattern and the hat is going to look great!




No comments: