Thursday, October 21, 2010

Teaching Someone to Knit

Earlier this fall we were visiting friends in Stevens Point again:) Of course when we are there, I always make time to visit Herschners to see what bargains they have on yarn. So, my friend, we'll call her Madge, who always accompanies me on these trips surprised me this time. She said, "I think I would like to learn how to knit."

How fun is that! Of all my friends Madge is one of the most creative ones:) I was sure that once she got going she would be creating fabulous color combinations and patterns of her own.
As much as I love to knit and so therefore think everyone should love to, I am very careful not to push my knitting values on others. Madge has always been happy to join me at Herschners and I just thought it was so we could get out and get caught up. So when she made her joyous announcement that she would like to learn, I had to hold back a "wooo hooo" from coming forth while we were in the store.

Now I felt some pressure come along with this request. If I did not guide her and teach her in a fun and light mode she may become impatient and drop her newly purchased purple needles and her fun yarn and let the kids do what they wish with it. But, if I helped her to stick with the knitting long enough to actually enjoy the process and have a basic understanding....I would have a new knitter sister!!

So, when we returned to her house with our treasures...me with my yarns for every ones scarves, and she with her new, purple, size 7 needles and some yarn...we turned on the Wii. As any mom knows if you want to get something done, distract the kids.
We sat next to each other on the couch and began to cast on. The trickiest part was the slip stitch, which is the first stitch that you make. Once she got that part she was off and casting. We decided to start with a dish cloth...as I have said before, everybody could use more, they are small, and if it is not perfect it doesn't matter. Our mantra was, "It's OK if you have to rip it out and try again." This worked well as we had to rip out her work several times and rework the stitches. Madge was great, she was not even upset about having to rip out a row because she knew, "It's OK if you have to rip it out and try again." Once this is understood the process just becomes part of the work, and not a reflection on your inabilities.

A few days ago Madge sent a picture of her first finished project.

What great progress she made in just one dishcloth!!  Great job Madge.

And I am feeling great that my pressure to "teach her without scaring her" went away. She is proud of her work and I am too!!

No comments: