Monday, October 8, 2012

5th Avenue Infinity Scarf and Blocking

This pattern is available on Ravelry for free! It seems to be the thing to wear this fall.

I made this scarf last spring...just as the weather was warming up. So, what does that mean? It means I sort of finished it...except for the blocking. Which really, I didn't think blocking was that important until I wore this scarf without doing so!

As you can see it really, really needed some blocking...


So, I started to block... I have not done much blocking, and certainly never learned how from anyone. As I went I made up what to do.  And as I went I discovered, actually remembered, there was a small problem with my 5th Avenue Infinity Scarf. I twisted the yarn as I created the join for my circular knitting. However, as luck would have it, the scarf is supposed to twist, so I am pretty sure I can hide the problem:)

Round one of blocking was on a towel on the kitchen table. As you can see, it is pinned flat, except for the part where there is the twist.


Round two of the blocking happened the next morning. As I am very impatient, and it was the next morning, and my scarf was still damp, I moved it to my ironing board...

As I pinned the scarf to my ironing board I also rotated the fold of the scarf so the twisted part was now pinned, and a different part of the scarf was now twisted. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

It did dry more quickly on the ironing board, and here is the final product. The edges look pretty good...

 ...and look, when it is twisted around my neck, the small (OK really big error that every pattern tells you to watch out for) error will not be noticed by the untrained eye!
This looks so much better than with the rolled edges of the unblocked scarf. I have decided not to join the blockers whining club, but actually be glad I have a way to make my hard work look beautiful!! I am going to ask for a new pin cushion and pins for Christmas:)
 

No comments: