Saturday, November 14, 2009

A Visit to the Weavers Guild of Minnesota


I had a great time exploring the Weavers Guild of Minnesota. They did have the promised 50 exhibitors. What a great variety of craft. There were many weavings, knitted items, and more.


I also spent a few moments talking with Frances Iverson who wrote a book called The Weaving Adventures of Edgar and Rita. It is a great children's story about Edgar the dog and Rita. After going on their outdoor adventures they return home, bringing the colors of nature into the weavings created by Rita.


Then I went to explore the rest of building. There is an awesome library, a weaving room for classes, a small shop that sells threads for weaving, books, and supplies. Also, they have a great gift shop with really unique knitted, woven, and beaded/jewelry.


Once again I had a "learning about me" moment. I found a great pair of clay bead earrings. They were calling my name and yet I chose to go home and see if I decided later I just had to have them. In the next room was the "bargain bin" of yarn and I had no compulsion to stop. I found some great treasures...



Starting at the top, at 12:00. is two great skeins of my favorite hat yarn, Lopi. Then at 3:00 we have the purple glow in the dark yarn. Kid #5 is so excited for me to make her a hat that will glow!! And at 8:00 is some yarn that was intriguing to me, although I am not sure what I will do with it. It immediately brought me back to being an 8 year old in the 70's, with two pony tails, one above each ear, and wrapped with ribbons. This yarn is that ribbon. Did any else sport the yarn ribbons as a kid?

No comments: