Monday, February 21, 2011

We have another knitter!

On Sunday, in front of a lovely fire, I taught my daughters friend Louise to knit.It was a great day to learn to knit. We were in the middle of a foot of snow falling from the sky. It billowed past the window, almost blizzard like. And then there was the calm of the fireplace and ... a new skein of yarn...and someone who had called me to say, "can you teach me how to knit?".

Louise caught on very quickly. She is either a natural, or a 13 year old without a lot of other responsibilities. Not that a 13 year old isn't busy, and concerned about many things. I just saying, when I taught my 40 year old friend to knit it took her a lot longer. I think she was having a hard time with the 3 three year old wanting to sit in her lap, the loud Mario game playing on the TV, and someone wanting a drink. Perhaps Blanche was just a bit more distracted by life.

I like to think Louise is a natural:) And if she continues to knit, she may find it a fabulous way to relax when, perhaps, she finds herself with 3 kids under the age of 5!
Anyway, Louise only needed guidance for one row, and then off she went to create a perfectly knit dishcloth. We purposely used needles that were a bit to big for the yarn just to get into the rhythm of knitting. When the tension is too tight it is very difficult to continue.


Ta Daaaaaaaa


So, after such an accomplishment in less than 24 hours, I helped her to get started on the "Idiot's Dishcloth".  This dishcloth actually has a written pattern to follow. It includes a yo (yarn over) and knit 2 together.
So, not only did Louise start on her 2nd dishcloth, she also began to learn the art of decoding a knitting pattern.Which is no small feat!

What's next? Maybe some cables!!


No comments: