Sunday, April 17, 2011

Making the Swatch

Usually I will do anything to get out of knitting a swatch before beginning a pattern, but this time I was happy to start.

In fact I'm still not done with Latvian mitten number 2 because I wanted to start the swatch!! And here it is.
The main reason I wanted to do the swatch was because I had so much to learn with this pattern. I had a lot of YO, SSK, and DDC's to figure out.

I started by reading through the pattern for at least 15 minutes trying to decode the order of it. Then I jumped in to give it a try. 

The pattern is a repeating 9 stitch pattern. So, I casted, or is it cast on 27 stitches. 

Then I knit across the first row, purled my way back and then started in on the pattern.

The first few rows I actually was increasing instead of decreasing in parts of it! Once I really caught on I maintained the now 32 stitches I was working with. 

So, I have to say the swatch was a huge success. I helped me to work out the pattern and gave me confidence for "doing it right" the first time.

Next step, CO (cast on) 130 stitches.

No comments: