Friday, October 23, 2009

Thank you to Three Kittens Needle Arts!


Today was the day to sew the front of the coral sweater to the back at the shoulders. And then also attach the sleeves. I can do this, I thought!!



Well, in my ignorance I turned the sweater inside out, matched up the front and back edges and started to sew. Much like one would do when sewing a dress or shirt using a sewing machine. I stitched away, turned the sweater right side out to see the results and it was not pretty!. So, I undid the stitches, turned the sweater inside out, lined up the front and back edges and started to sew. Once again, not so good. Didn't someone say the definition of insanity was doing the sames steps and expecting different results?


In my quest to continue enjoying my upgraded sanity level (since all 5 kids are now back in school) I decided to ask an expert.


A local knitting shop offers free knitting help every afternoon. How nice is that?


I put my project into my cute knitting basket and drove to the store. The freedom of having an idea occur to me and being able to implement it in the following moment is still new to me. I took a deep breath and was able to savor the moment!


I drove to Three Kittens Needle Arts in Mendota Heights, Minnesota. http://www.3kittensneedlearts.com/


It must have been quite obvious that I needed help as I walked into the store with my project basket. The ladies asked if I needed help, and quickly decided Laura was the "seam expert".

Laura came out from the back room and assessed the seam. It was such an "outside the box" experience for me. First she put the edges together with the sweater right side out. Then she proceeded to show me how to stitch the seam and make it look like another row of the knitting. It is almost seamless! I felt like I was learning top secret information from one of the best.


She also took the time to show me how to do the sleeves when I was ready to attach them.

The "it's all who you know". Or in my case, knowing who to ask really is true.

Thank you to all the ladies at Three Kittens Needle Arts!

No comments: