Sunday, November 13, 2011

Look Mom, I blocked it!

Since I am sending the prayer shawl off as a gift I decided to finish it off properly by blocking it.

I started out well. I hand washed the shawl. Then I proceeded to put it into a pillowcase and run it through the spin cycle of my washing machine to get it as dry as possible. Most of my resources recommended tying the pillowcase closed so the shawl would not escape in the spin cycle. I have not had good luck tying pillow cases shut and being sure they would stay that way. So, I opted for the rubberband closure method and it worked great!!

After spinning it dry, I laid out the shawl flat and placed the edges as best I could. I used to have a lovely red apple/tomato pincushion with many pins in it. Somehow it has become a favorite "toy" of my children. It has been found in many different parts of the house. Usually found with a new pattern created by moving the pins around. Anyway, today I could not find the pincushion, as you can see! 
The right edge is looking good. I did do a bit more tugging and pulling for the left edge before I left it to dry.

Tomorrow it goes into a package and out in the mail!

No comments: