Thursday, January 21, 2010

Yarn Comparisons with a Knitted Dish Cloth

I have been very busy making dish cloths. Making dish cloths goes quickly and we really needed some! I started to think about the quality of my dishcloths.

As I shopped for yarn the thrifty side of me bought Sugar and Cream yarn at Wal-Mart for 1.59 for 50g ball of cotton yarn. Then I went to The Three Kittens yarn shop in Mendota Heights, MN www.3kittensneedlearts.com. They are my favorite goto yarn shop for knitting help in the afternoons, and for a beautiful selection of yarns. I asked Laura about dish cloth yarns and did they have something a step up from the Sugar and Cream. She showed me a great color selection from CoolSpun Cotton. It cost 2.75 for a 50g ball of yarn. I selected a pretty sky blue and a great spring colored variegated ball.

Next I came home and knit this dish cloth.


The feel of the two yarns the mango(Sugar and Cream) vs. the blue (CoolSpun Cotton) was very similar. I was curious about how each yarn would hold up after cleaning a kitchen used by 7 people and lots of washing. Today I will weave in the loose ends and then put it to use with our chicken with oriental vegetables dinner.

One other yarn that Laura showed me was a beautiful 100% Linen hank of yarn. Wow! It looked beautiful! Once I complete this project I may just splurge on the $24.00 yarn and see how the linen looks (I'm sure it will be beautiful) and holds up in the laundry.

No comments: