Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Score Card

This is the most important find so far.

Before I can pick a pattern or go shopping for the yarn I really want to know all I can about how my creation will be judged.

For those of you following along, look at the top of Page 13 in the Minnesota State Fair Creative Activities rules and premiums for NEEDLECRAFT. http://www.mnstatefair.org/2009_pdf/Creative_Activities/CA09Needlework.pdf

The score card has 100 possible points, the breakdown is as follows...
General appearance - Beauty and Character 10
Color 10
Design -Structural and Decorative 20
Condition of Article 10
Materials used 10
Workmanship 40

Some of these seem rather obvious, like condition of article. That seems controlable. I can submit something fresh and new, easy 10 there, I think.
Color is throwing me! Does that mean if the judge likes the color you submit you get more points? Does it mean don't use white as it technically is not a color? I'm going to have to think about this one.
Now, I"m thinking about Beauty and Character... this seems a bit subjective to me. However, it does relate back to General Rule 1.16 on page 6 Acceptance of gift, no bribes the judges!! I will trust that the judges will see the beauty and character in my work.

Next will be selecting an item from the Hand Knitted Articles list starting on page 19.

No comments: